Saturday, December 12, 2015

Soap Carving Changes (FINAL)



ARTIST'S STATEMENT: The additive and subtractive changes I made to the hippo carving were very therapeutic in that I could release some of my frustrations on the piece while simultaneously having a second chance to make it into a work I felt I could fully explore and be proud of. The final result, as seen above, is a work I feel did finally achieve this goal.

In its final changed form, I noticed that the remnants of the carving represented an organic, rock-like formation. The shape gave a much more natural and calming aura. Noticing the red vertical lines on the front end of the structure, I was reminded of a waterfall. I decided to incorporate this idea into its presentation base.

I used hot glue to simulate falling liquid throughout the base, which I painted red to connect to the lines on the soap. I poured a large puddle of red acrylic paint at the bottom of the base. I used a  pin to make vein-like lines protruding from the center to compliment the stringy, tangled nature of the glue.

I used unpainted balsa wood cut into angular shapes as the base for the soap. The light, natural color of the balsa wood was meant to emphasize the natural theme of the sculpture, while its plain coloring wouldn't distract from the centerpiece of the work. The angular shapes were made to contrast the organic, messy nature of the soap and waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment