Saturday, December 12, 2015

Architecture Relief (FINAL)


ARTIST'S STATEMENT: For this sculpture, I took inspiration from three architectural periods (below): The Japanese Edo period, Soviet Russia in the early twentieth century, and traditional Japanese rock gardens. 

Taking the roof shapes of the Edo period, the spirals of the communist era, and the line work of rock gardens, I crafted a floating, lantern-like structure with inverted houses protruding from its side. I wanted to explore a fantastical, magical world where I could defy gravity and logic. I used bold lines and contrasting shapes to give the structure an almost animated, cartoonish effect that drew attention to the contrasting shapes on the structure.

This sculpture was one of my favorites this semester, as I was allowed to explore my personal artistic style in a three dimensional manner for the first time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment