Monday, November 9, 2015

Five Sentences:


  • "The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale."

For this sentence, I chose this picture taken at the Santa Monica pier in summer of 2013. My body in the forefront, juxtaposed with the fading skyline in the background, shows the large sense of depth in the environment. The tourists in the background give a sense of relatable and proportional scale to the rocky shoreline beside them, as well.


  • "The capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience."

When I was eight years old, my father bought a B'rer rabbit plush (pictured above) to commemorate my first time braving Splash Mountain with him. Twelve years later, I brought the plush back to the park, and my friend took the picture above while I wasn't there.The object serves as a "trace of an authentic experience" because it represents not only a product that is no longer sold at the attraction, but authentic evidence of my presence at the location in the past. 


  • "The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature that which can be enveloped by the body."

The above picture was taken with two of my closest friends in the winter of 2014. We were standing in line to see the meet-and-greet characters from one of our favorite films at the time. The plushes we were displaying when this picture was taken represent such an event and the cornerstone of our day.


  • "Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss."

The above are two pictures of a former attraction at EPCOT- the Norwegian boat ride, Maelstrom. The ride was a major part of my childhood memory; I had been afraid of riding it as a small girl, but conquered my fear of it with my friends years later. But as the sentence above states, nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss. Many of my fond feelings for the ride stem from the fact that it is of a memory past; it was closed in 2014 to make way for a Frozen attraction. The upper picture was taken before the ride was permanently closed, while the bottom picture was taken a few months after its closure, which is evident though the fading paint on its doors, broken hinges, and absence of signage.


  • "To have a souvenir of the exotic is to posses both a specimen and a trophy."


The picture above displays me showcasing a special pass I was given at Disney's Lights, Motors, Action! show. This pass serves as both a specimen- an artifact from the attraction itself, and a trophy- proudly showcasing the special permission I was given at the event to sit in the director's seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment